Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Awaken EP 2/3- Frenk&Stine

This next album, the 2nd of a 3 part EP named Awaken, was made by two talented friends of mine. Hailing from San Francisco, Frenk&Stine aka Midpoint and N/A Kees are a beatmaking duo who are proving themselves a force to be reckoned with.

One of my favorite things about Frenk&Stine is how heavy the drums hit. As a drummer, I'm often quite hard on much of the beats in hiphop I hear made nowadays, as more often than not Reason redrums just don't hit the spot that live or even properly sampled drums (in my opinion) should. That being said, I'm glad Midpoint lays down some soul sampled breaks I can truly feel. After that, he and N/A Kees jam out finding what works in a fluid creative process wielding results that speak for themselves. The sampled dialogue (my favorite being the Young Frankenstein quote on Brains, the first track) which flavors the album was layered on in the final process during the sequencing of the project.

Here is a dope video from the first 1/3 of the Awaken EP, which you should also check out:



All in all a dope addition to an ill EP that creeps, crawls and floats by too quick and must be promptly replayed. No matter what you're doing, you aren't too busy to click below and listen to and download this well-crafted audio-treasure.